Friday, November 6, 2015

Redoing a laundry closet on a budget! Step 1

My house is SO unorganized. Sometimes I feel like my life is always in chaos! Little by little I have been trying to organize my home and make my life a little easier.  One of the biggest problems we have is LAUNDRY!  We have one of those closet laundry "rooms" in our kitchen with sliding doors. (And the doors always fall off the runner and almost crush my kids!) There is always a big pile of clothes on our kitchen floor. It doesn't matter what I do, it never goes away!  About a month ago an idea popped in my head to help fix the problem.  The first thing we did was pull the washer and dryer out, clean the floor, and replace the hoses. It was disgusting! YUCK! The second thing we did was take down those awful doors. I was so happy to get rid of those things, I have always hated them. After that was done we went to Lowes and bought a stacking kit for $35.  We installed the kit and put the drier on top the washer. It was super easy and made all the difference. We now have a large space for storage, which our house severely lacks btw.
Please ignore the crooked frames lol
Now this is what my laundry closet currently looks like.  My hubby is working and going to college so he doesn't have much time for projects.  I'm hoping to get this done by Christmas, lol.  Anyway, the wheels started turning in my head once again on how to cover up the closet but make it look nice.  CURTAINS! Yes, that would be perfect!  
I'm going to side track a minute.  My kitchen has been a work in progress for almost 2 years.  It had hardly any storage and a big gapping hole on the side of the fridge where a pantry should be but wasn't. (We bought a brand new home, but apparently to save a couple bucks they left out the pantry) So about 2 years ago my awesome hubby and father-in-law installed a freakin awesome pantry! But we still haven't painted it! LOL! I have this whole design in my mind, and it has been there a while now.  We just need to find the time/funds to finish it.  Okay, so my goal is to paint the kitchen a light gray color.  I'm going to paint the pantry door and (maybe) inside the laundry closet blue. (I did buy the blue paint recently! yay!)  Now back to the curtains :)
Lately I have been obsessed with chevron.  The perfect curtains for me would be blue and white chevron! I start looking.  I check Target, Kohls, Walmart....every place I can think of.  The cheapest I find is $13 a pair at Walmart. I'm about to order them but decide to read the reviews first.  Good thing I did!  I thought they were 56" wide each...but NO...they are 56" wide total! Wait, what!? I need 72" to even fit the space. So those were out.  The ones I really like are $50 a pair from Kohls.  It might now seem like much to some but for me it is.  I try to be as frugal as I can without being too extreme.  
I've looked into making them and I may end up doing that.  I'm going to wait a while and see if anything goes on sale for the holidays. I would like to mention that not only do i want curtains for the laundry closet I would also like matching ones for the dining area and possibly the window above the sink.  For now I can just enjoy my stacked washer and drier and search pinterest for new projects to start.  My next blog entry will be how to make curtain panels from sheets! 




No comments:

Post a Comment